About the Department
The Economics department started its journey with
3 years (6 semesters) undergraduate programme and 2
years (4 semesters) postgraduate programme in 2018.
The department is also ready to offer Ph.D. course
from 2020. The faculty serves with the objective of
providing quality education which will enable
students not only to thrive in academics but also
motivate towards character building, leadership and
participation in various co-curricular activities to
prepare them for a better future. The enduring
strength of the department is the quality of the
The department offers the latest course structure both at the undergraduate and the postgraduate level and also provides a good exposure in advanced statistical tools, statistical software and various types of data for their professional development of the students. The department frequently organizes the invited lectures and several training programme for the students.
At present, the area of specialization and the academic interest of the faculties are Open Economy Macroeconomics, International Economics, Energy Economics, Applied Econometrics and Environmental Economics.
Vision and Mission Statements
• Inspired by the Ignatian charism of forming men
and women for others, the Department of Economics,
St. Xavier's University Kolkata is committed to
foster passionate pursuit for academic and
intellectual excellence. The Department is devoted
for the holistic development of the students.
• To stimulate the academic environment by
promoting and supporting quality in
teaching-learning and research.
• To provide all students of St. Xavier's University a unique and exceptional education that will be a transforming experience intellectually, culturally, socially and personally.
• To excel in all areas of teaching-learning, research, outreach, and consultancy.
• To develop application-oriented courses, with the mandatory view on values, to produce holistic development of persons.