Nihil Ultra: A Xaverian Interdisciplinary Journal
Nihil Ultra: A Xaverian Interdisciplinary Journal
is a peer-reviewed academic journal associated with and
edited by faculty at St. Xavier's University, Kolkata.
Committed to the highest standard of excellence in
interdisciplinary research, and inspired by the values of
our cherished institution, Nihil Ultra shall comprise of
research articles, reviews, case studies, and critical
commentaries. Contributions to our journal are solicited
from St. Xavier's faculty and students, as well as from the
broader academic community in India and abroad. We look
forward to publishing cutting-edge research exploring the
following fields as well as their interstices: English,
Social Work, Mass Communication, Economics, Commerce and
Management, Business Administration, and Law.
The format of the journal shall be print as well as online (open access). We follow stringent quality-control processes via a blind peer-review system. ISSN number shall be applied for as soon as permissible-i.e., after the publication of our first issue. We expect the ISSN to be applied retrospectively to cover our first issue as well.
- Dr. Prayag Ray, Editor, Department of English
- Dr. Manodip Ray Chaudhuri, Associate Editor, Xavier Business School
- Mr. Aritra Das, Associate Editor, Executive Assistant to the Vice-Chancellor
- Dr. Tuhin Utsab Paul, Member, Assistant Registrar
- Dr. Antara Ghatak, Member, Department of English
- Dr. Debalina Chakravarty, Member, Department of Economics
- Dr. Somak Sen, Member, Department of Mass Communication
- Dr. Rupa Biswas, Member, Department of Social Work
- Dr. Soma Sur, Member, Xavier Business School
- Dr. Devleena Majumdar, Member, Xavier Business School
- Dr. Monalika Dey, Member, Department of Commerce and Management
- Dr. Anuradha Roy Chowdhury, Member, Xavier Law
External Board Members
- Dr. Arka Chattopadhyay, Assistant Professor, Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, IIT Gandhinagar
- Dr. Rajendranarayan Nag, Professor, Department of Economics St. Xavier's College, Kolkata
- Dr. B. Balaswamy, Professor, Department of Communication and Journalism, Osmania University, Hyderabad
- Dr. Asok Kumar Sarkar, Professor, Department of Social Work and Principal, Palli Samgathana Vibhaga, Visva-Bharati
- Dr. Jadab Krishna Das, Professor, Department of Commerce, and Director, IQAC, University of Calcutta
- Dr. Sankarshan Basu, Professor, Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore
- Dr. Nirmal Kanti Chakrabarti, Professor and Vice-Chancellor, The West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences (NUJS)
Fields of Research/Research Areas
We are looking for research articles within the following disciplines, as well as inter-disciplinary work exploring their interstices, or cutting across disciplinary boundaries:
- Social Work
- Mass Communication
- Commerce and Management
- Business Administration
Our first issue will not have a fixed theme or topic. Any research work of sufficient quality that falls within or explores the limits of the above disciplines is acceptable. Preference, however, will be given to innovative research with contemporary relevance.
Instructions for Authors and Submission Guidelines
- Submissions should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The submission window for the first issue is 1st September, 2020 to 31st October, 2020. Submissions sent after 31st October 2020 shall not be accepted on any grounds.
- We accept research articles, reviews, case studies, and critical commentaries of no more than 6,000 words' length (excluding bibliography). Articles are to be formatted following the Author-Date (Harvard) referencing style. Articles that have not followed the Author-Date referencing style will not be accepted. A detailed overview of the Author-Date style can be found on our website. View link
- Special instructions are provided for submissions in Economics. View instructions
- Special instructions are provided for submissions in Law. View Instructions
- Submissions are to be sent as Word files (docx), and not as PDFs, or in any other file format. We shall accept one submission per author only.
- Plagiarism is defined in the MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers, 7th edition, as "the failure to give appropriate acknowledgment when repeating or paraphrasing another's wording" (2009, p.52). Please do not send us plagiarised work. All submissions to our journal are put through a plagiarism-detection software, which detects any unoriginal work and identifies its source as well. We consider the copying of four or more consecutive words directly from a source, without citing it, as the most direct form of plagiarism. This does not include proper nouns, or common phrases such as "it might be argued that.." Passing off another scholar's original ideas as one's own by merely changing a few words-i.e., paraphrasing without citation-also constitutes plagiarism. Plagiarism, if detected, immediately disqualifies an article for publication.
- We are working on a short deadline for our first issue. Authors selected for publication shall be informed by the last week of November, and sent feedback from peer reviewers shortly thereafter. They will be expected to return their work after incorporating suggested changes within a month..
- We do not pay authors for publication, nor do we accept paid publications; however, authors shall receive a complementary print copy of the issue their work is published in.
- Submitted articles will only be considered valid if they have a title. Articles should also be accompanied by an abstract (max. 500 words), a list of keywords (no more than 8), and a brief bio-note (no more than 300 words). The order should be as follows: Page 1: abstract and keywords. Page 2: bio-note. Page 3 onwards: full article. The Bibliography should begin on a fresh page.
- Please note the following formatting guidelines: articles are to be submitted in the Times New Roman font, size 12, and using 1.5 spacing. Indentation: first line of each new paragraph. The text should not be in two or more columns.
- All images, graphs, diagrams, etc., that have been sourced from somewhere else, must be cited. Authors must acquire rights to reproduce copyrighted images, or use only copyright-free images, if required at all.